Tuesday 18 September 2012

First week done!

So now that the first week has come and gone looking back at it and thinking there are a few things that come to mind such as what we are there for. When I was told about the classes and researched I was told that it was a coarse to help grade nines with their academics well it turns out when they say academics they mean English (my worst subject) what I was expecting was all subjects. I was thinking I could help them with math and science and pass them off for the English help. I was wrong. At lest I feel at ease with the idea of helping the grade nines so far. I am hoping to be able to mentor them in more then just English I'm hoping to help them and prevent them from falling in to the cracks so I am really hoping to get them involved in to the school. They are all at a higher risk of falling do to their learning disability because I know with my I.E.P. (individualized education plan) I was starting to slip at points. One of the hardest parts about having this I found was teachers didn't know how to deal with me they either treated me like a child as if my whole mental health was held back a 5 or more years or they didn't do anything to help you which I liked a whole lot more then treating me like I was in grade 2. I'm not saying IEP's are bad I think they can really help to prevent kids from falling in to the cracks although I think teachers need more training with how to deal with IEP's because it can be hard on the person with the IEP if the people don't know how to deal with you. Going back to helping prevent the grade nines from falling in to the cracks. I would have to say I am going to make that my goal over the whole coarse and a weekly goal. With that being said tho I am very happy I was talking to a couple of the grade nines and saying they should join sports and other clubs that would fit each of them I had about 3 kids come up to me and ask when different meetings are when I first got asked that I was super happy and I was amazed once I was asked by all of the three I have to say that made my week. Now I am adding some tasks for me to do and that is staying in the know of when meeting are and I hope that will help me help them along with help me within our student council meeting (just got changed to student union) as I am acting president at my school. So I really hope to help them with some of my knowledge past academics.

No comments:

Post a Comment